ArchivesAugust 2010Buglasan preps underway

Buglasan preps underway

-

- Advertisment -spot_img

Preparations for this year’s Buglasan Festival of Festivals is in high gear with assurance of support from most, if not all, of the local chief executives in Negros Oriental.{{more}}

This developed as various concerns were raised by the mayors during their regular meeting Wednesday, attended by Gov. Agustin Perdices and the Buglasan directorate, represented by Glynda Descuatan and Nick Elman.

These concerns include the mobility of participants, especially the mayors who claimed that their vehicle passes are not honored by traffic enforcers, aside from the very crowded Sidlakan area.

The mayors are also apprehensive about spending funds for Buglasan activities due to auditing problems. Most of the time, the mayors have to dip from their own pockets.

Meantime, it was learned that the mayors had been receiving P25,000 each from the provincial government since the inception of the Buglasan festival to defray additional expenses that will be incurred by them.

It was not immediately known if the same is being receipted or had been subjected to COA auditing procedures.

For this, the mayors are asking Gov. Perdices not to break the tradition, which the latter had promised to look into.

Scarcity of funds is the major reason for non-participation of some municipalities in the festival showdown.

Last year, 13 LGUs participated in the showdown, and this year, seven have so far committed to participate, namely, Dumaguete, Jimalalud, Zamboanguita, Bayawan, Mabinay, Sibulan, Pamplona, with a subsidy of P50,000 each. All the other LGUs have committed to participate in other Buglasan festivities.

Elman, co-director of the Buglasan directorate, said Buglasan festivities officially start on October 14 and ends with a fireworks display on the 24th and the “Kasikas sa Kalye,” where local bands are assigned in different areas of the city.

The idea is to disperse the activities throughout the city, not just the Sidlakan area.

Meanwhile, the Negros Oriental Negrense Awards will continue, but Gov. Perdices wanted another category that is intended to give recognition to the rank and file.

Dubbed as the Negros Oriental Service Awards, Elman said this will give due recognition to farmers, fisherfolks, janitors, waiters, waitresses, who have excelled in their respective brand of work. (PNA/JG)

Latest news

Council approves City budget

    The one-and-a-half month impasse over the Annual Investment Plan and the 2024 budget of the City of Dumaguete came...

Price of pork soars

    The prices of pork in Negros Oriental, particularly in Dumaguete, continues to rise amid a perceived low supply of...

Saving the day

    Last week’s passage of the budget for the City of Dumaguete by the Sangguniang Panlunsod gave Dumaguitnons a good...

Arnie’s diplomatic passport invalid: DOJ

    The Department of Justice on Tuesday said fugitive former lawmaker Arnolfo Teves Jr. can no longer validly use his...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

SSS suspends operations for a day

    The Social Security Services office in Dumaguete City suspended its operations Monday afternoon after its main office in Metro...

DTI accepting mentoring applicants

    The Department of Trade & Industry in Negros Oriental is now accepting qualified applicants of all ages for its...

Must read

Council approves City budget

    The one-and-a-half month impasse over the Annual Investment Plan...

Price of pork soars

    The prices of pork in Negros Oriental, particularly in...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you