News and UpdatesIn the NewsComelec warns erring brgy, SK officials

Comelec warns erring brgy, SK officials

-

- Advertisment -spot_img

 

 

for failing to file SOCE

The Commission on Elections in Negros Oriental has warned that winners in the recently-concluded Barangay & Sangguniang Kabataan Elections will be removed from office, perpetually disqualified from running in future elections, and barred from holding any appointive position in government if they twice fail to file their Statement of Contributions & Expenditures (SOCE).

Lawyer Eliseo Labaria, acting provincial election supervisor, said that only 15,268 or 79.15 percent of the total 19,289 candidates in the recent BSKE had filed their SOCEs.

Filing the SOCE is one of the requirements for a winning candidate to assume office.

Labaria said they expect the numbers to increase once the different towns and cities submitted their respective reports by Nov. 30.

The Comelec had earlier ruled out an extension of the Nov. 29 deadline for the filing of SOCE, saying that “under the law, all candidates must submit their SOCE within 30 days from election day.”

Comelec Chairman George Erwin Garcia told reporters in Manila that the Comelec collected P80 million in administrative fines from candidates who failed to file their SOCE in the 2022 elections.

The legal basis for requiring candidates and political parties to submit “full, true and itemized” SOCEs is Section 14 of Republic Act 7166 or the “Synchronized National and Local Elections Law.”

It provides that all candidates and treasurers of political parties are required to file their SOCEs.

Winning candidates who overspent during the campaign period may also be removed from office even if they have already assumed office. (with a report from Judy F. Partlow/ PNA)

 

 

Latest news

Gov. Sagarbarria lifts pork ban

    Negros Oriental Gov. Chaco Sagarbarria has issued Executive Order No. 10 allowing the transport and movement of live hogs,...

Ipe to connect Pantawan 1 and 2

    Dumaguete Mayor Felipe Antonio Remollo has announced plans to construct “shoreline protection” from Pantawan 1 to Pantawan 2 this...

The ASF dilemma

    Pork lovers may soon get their meat at lower prices after the Provincial government allowed the entry of hogs...

PPI News Commons elects officers; sets funding plans

    CATBALOGAN CITY -- The board of directors of the Philippine Press Institute News Commons met recently to address key...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Tourism roadshow goes to Bayawan

  Bayawanons were treated to a night of cultural heritage and excitement when the Negros Oriental: Garbo sa Kabisay-an Tourism...

NOHRRA to help farmers grow specialty coffee

    The Negros Oriental Hotels, Resorts & Restaurants Association is helping local farmers produce and market specialty coffee. NOHRRA President Royani...

Must read

Gov. Sagarbarria lifts pork ban

    Negros Oriental Gov. Chaco Sagarbarria has issued Executive Order...

Ipe to connect Pantawan 1 and 2

    Dumaguete Mayor Felipe Antonio Remollo has announced plans to...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you