ArchivesJanuary 201168 drug convicts in 2010: report

68 drug convicts in 2010: report

-

- Advertisment -spot_img



A special court to exclusively try and hear drug cases has meted out a total of 68 convictions in Dumaguete last year, with 20 of them serving life imprisonment and fined P500,000 each.

RTC Branch 30 Judge Rafael Crescencio Tan, in his annual report, said his court also acquitted 32 drug suspects and dismissed cases against 10 others.

Tan said those convicted to jail terms of more than six years have been brought to the Bureau of Corrections in Muntinlupa City or the correctional Institution for Women at Mandaluyong City.

The Judge said the main reason for acquitting 32 of the suspects was because there was reasonable doubt as to their guilt, considering that there was failure of the arresting officers to give the accused the so-called Miranda warnings, the failure of the seizing officers to immediately mark the dangerous drugs seized at the crime scene, the failure of the prosecution witness to corroborate their respective testimonies resulting in their lack of credibility, and the failure of the arresting officers to comply with Section 21 of R.A. 1965, among others.

With 124 new cases filed before the RTC Branch 30 last year, the total number of pending drug cases has increased to 304.

However, Judge Tan said this figure is lower than the 338 pending cases as of Dec. 31, 2009.

Five cases were archived during the year 2010 as the accused where nowhere to be found, in spite of the warrants of arrest issued for the accused, Tan reported.

Last year, the RTC Branch 30 disposed of an average of 13.5 cases per month, or 1.22 cases every two working days.

Judge Tan said this case disposal rate is higher than the ideal Supreme Court ratio of one case disposal for every case filed in court.

RTC Branch 30 was presided over by Judge Marie Rose Inocando-Paras during the first six months of 2010, while Judge Tan returned to the Court during the second semester of the said year. (PR)

(Back to MetroPost HOME PAGE)



Latest news

Gov. Sagarbarria lifts pork ban

    Negros Oriental Gov. Chaco Sagarbarria has issued Executive Order No. 10 allowing the transport and movement of live hogs,...

Ipe to connect Pantawan 1 and 2

    Dumaguete Mayor Felipe Antonio Remollo has announced plans to construct “shoreline protection” from Pantawan 1 to Pantawan 2 this...

The ASF dilemma

    Pork lovers may soon get their meat at lower prices after the Provincial government allowed the entry of hogs...

PPI News Commons elects officers; sets funding plans

    CATBALOGAN CITY -- The board of directors of the Philippine Press Institute News Commons met recently to address key...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Tourism roadshow goes to Bayawan

  Bayawanons were treated to a night of cultural heritage and excitement when the Negros Oriental: Garbo sa Kabisay-an Tourism...

NOHRRA to help farmers grow specialty coffee

    The Negros Oriental Hotels, Resorts & Restaurants Association is helping local farmers produce and market specialty coffee. NOHRRA President Royani...

Must read

Gov. Sagarbarria lifts pork ban

    Negros Oriental Gov. Chaco Sagarbarria has issued Executive Order...

Ipe to connect Pantawan 1 and 2

    Dumaguete Mayor Felipe Antonio Remollo has announced plans to...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you