News and UpdatesIn the NewsSiaton cave closed

Siaton cave closed

-

- Advertisment -spot_img


after 2 explorers die

 

Siaton Mayor Cezanne Fritz Diaz has ordered the sealing of a cave in the hinterland barangay of Apoloy, and imposed a round-the-clock security in the area, following the death of two “treasure hunters” last week.

Maj. Danilo Santillan, Siaton police chief, told the media on Wednesday the Siaton Mayor was furious after learning about the incident on Feb. 15 in a cave in Sitio Binukgayan.

“Mayor Diaz was very angry upon learning of the illegal activity, and immediately ordered that the cave be sealed, and to deploy barangay tanod (village watchmen) there to prevent people from going inside the cave,” Santillan said in the vernacular.

Apoloy Barangay Capt. Jose Pat was instructed to make sure the area is cordoned off from the public.

The two Philippine Army detachments in the area were also asked to help in the monitoring of the cave, Santillan said.

Last week, two men died of possible exposure to toxic natural gas or suffocation, as they attempted to siphon water out of an inland pool by the entrance to the cave.

The families of the deceased declined an autopsy of the cadavers.

The police chief said they have established that there were about 15 people in the group who, when questioned by authorities, claimed they did not know each other, and were hired randomly.

The men, apparently fearful of the consequences such as possible legal actions against them, were reluctant to cooperate with the police investigation, saying they also did not know who their leader was, Santillan said.

The purported treasure hunting is considered illegal becaus,e according to the Mayor and the Barangay Captain, no permits have been issued for any activities there.

The area where the cave is situated is about 25 kilometers from the highway, and is considered “high-risk” due to insurgency problems there. (Judy F. Partlow/PNA)

 

 

Latest news

NOCCI asks PBBM: Deny Church plea

    The Negros Oriental Chamber of Commerce and Industry has written President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. to ask that he turn...

City to hold public hearings about casino

    The Committee on Games and Amusement of the Dumaguete City Council is calling for a public hearing on the...

Unfounded fears

    The Negros Island Region issue appears to be heating up on social media because many people are exercising their...

DOJ asks Timor Leste: Deport Teves quick

    The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Thursday called on Timor Leste authorities for the immediate deportation or extradition of...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Ipe supports NIR

    Dumaguete City Mayor Ipe Remollo has thrown his support for the creation of the Negros Island Region. In an interview...

NegOr crop damage pegged at P229M

    Crop damage and other agricultural production losses in Negros Oriental due to El Niño have reached more than PHP229...

Must read

NOCCI asks PBBM: Deny Church plea

    The Negros Oriental Chamber of Commerce and Industry has...

City to hold public hearings about casino

    The Committee on Games and Amusement of the Dumaguete...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you