News and UpdatesIn the NewsSSS suspends operations for a day

SSS suspends operations for a day

-

- Advertisment -spot_img

 

 

The Social Security Services office in Dumaguete City suspended its operations Monday afternoon after its main office in Metro Manila received a bomb threat through email.

“We are just instituting measures for everyone’s safety as instructed by our main office, sending all employees across the country on a work-from-home arrangement,” Elisa Llaban, SSS-Dumaguete branch manager, said.

Lt. Stephen Polinar, spokesperson of the Negros Oriental Police Provincial Office, said the city police immediately deployed personnel to inspect the local SSS office premises and eventually declared it safe.

Llaban said normal operations resumed by Tuesday.

Several government offices reported receiving bomb threats on Monday.

Among these are the Department of Environment & Natural Resources and the Philippine Information Agency central offices, located beside each other along Visayas Ave.; National Housing Authority along Elliptical Road; the Commission on Higher Education in Diliman, all in Quezon City; and the Department of Science & Technology in Bicutan, Taguig City.

In a statement, the DENR confirmed receiving information about a possible explosion at about 10 a.m.

Upon a thorough inspection by the Philippine National Police, the information was verified to be a hoax.

“The DENR calls for vigilant sobriety and advises everyone to immediately report suspicious activity to local authorities. The department continues to stay alert and committed to the security and well-being of our employees at all times,” it added.

The Quezon City Police District said that at around 8:55 am on Monday, its Station 15 and Explosive Ordnance Disposal teams responded to the bomb threat at the DENR, allegedly issued by a Japanese national.

“Upon conducting paneling operations and thorough inspections, the results yielded negative and no signs of any bombs or any improvised explosive device was found thereat,” it said in a statement.

The QCPD said the threat was issued by a Japanese national who was responsible for a similar threat in September last year at the Metro Rail Transit-3 Kamuning Station in Quezon City, the statement reads.

Meanwhile, the Science Heritage Building, located opposite the DOST central office, received a bomb threat through email.

“An email was received at around 3:31 a.m., and the Philippine Council for Industry, Energy, and Emerging Technology Research & Development read it at 8 a.m. It was (referred to the) PNP for further investigation,” DOST Sec. Renato Solidum Jr. told the media.

Aside from PCIEERD, the Science Heritage Building also houses the Science Education Institute, and the National Academy of Science & Technology.

Solidum said police officers inspected the building at around 10 a.m. and the employees were advised to return at noon.

He said the Philippine Nuclear Research Institute and the National Research Council of the Philippines received similar email threats in 2023.

Meanwhile, at about 3:26 p.m., the Bureau of Fire Protection-National Capital Region reported the bomb threat at the NHA while CHED employees rushed out of their buildings at around the same time due to a similar false warning.

Meanwhile, PNP chief Gen. Benjamin Acorda Jr. said investigations were ongoing.

“It’s very unfortunate that in some instances we have to suspend classes because of this kind of threat. I just hope that those persons responsible for this should know the consequences and they are causing so much trouble. We have been tracing and we try to coordinate with other countries because it is not only happening here in the country. It is also happening in the different agencies of the government and even outside our country,” Acorda said in a press briefing at the National Capital Region Police Office headquarters in Camp Bagong Diwa, Taguig City.

The Police Regional Office 3 (Central Luzon), meanwhile, denied reports of bomb threats in the region.

“While we have not yet received any official reports on these incidents, I have instructed all chiefs of police across the region to undertake an investigation and find out the truth behind these incidents,” PRO-3 chief Brig. Gen. Jose Hidalgo Jr. said in a statement.

The Department of Justice has also directed the National Bureau of Investigation to undertake a thorough probe into the incident.

“There should be no place for pranks or spreading fear among our people. Let this be a warning to those behind this that we will not tolerate such acts and we will go after you with the full extent of the law,” Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla said in a statement.

The unknown e-mail sender identified himself as Takahiro Karasawa, supposedly a Japanese lawyer from a certain “Steadiness Law Office,” and a highly knowledgeable bombmaker.

In the e-mail, Karasawa said the bombs would rock major Philippine government agencies on Monday around 3:34 p.m.

The DOJ said the name has been associated with previous bomb threats across different countries.

In September last year, the same individual issued a bomb threat targeting the MRT-3 system.

This alarming pattern emphasizes the need for immediate and decisive action, the DOJ said.

The NBI also said threats of this nature are taken extremely seriously and will be dealt with accordingly in full compliance with the law.

“We urge the public to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities or information related to this case to the authorities. The NBI is committed to conducting a thorough and impartial investigation, leaving no stone unturned in the pursuit of justice. We will keep the public informed of any significant developments in this case,” NBI director Medardo de Lemos said in a statement.  (Judy F. Partlow with PNA reports)

 

 

Latest news

NOCCI asks PBBM: Deny Church plea

    The Negros Oriental Chamber of Commerce and Industry has written President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. to ask that he turn...

City to hold public hearings about casino

    The Committee on Games and Amusement of the Dumaguete City Council is calling for a public hearing on the...

Unfounded fears

    The Negros Island Region issue appears to be heating up on social media because many people are exercising their...

DOJ asks Timor Leste: Deport Teves quick

    The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Thursday called on Timor Leste authorities for the immediate deportation or extradition of...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

Ipe supports NIR

    Dumaguete City Mayor Ipe Remollo has thrown his support for the creation of the Negros Island Region. In an interview...

NegOr crop damage pegged at P229M

    Crop damage and other agricultural production losses in Negros Oriental due to El Niño have reached more than PHP229...

Must read

NOCCI asks PBBM: Deny Church plea

    The Negros Oriental Chamber of Commerce and Industry has...

City to hold public hearings about casino

    The Committee on Games and Amusement of the Dumaguete...
- Advertisement -spot_imgspot_img

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you